At MedStar Good Samaritan Hospital, we believe the keys to staying healthy are education and prevention. Besides that, we are always striving to fulfill our mission: We are MedStar Good Samaritans, guided by Catholic tradition and trusted to deliver ideal healthcare experiences. Our community outreach program features nurses who teach health and wellness as well as provide screenings at area churches, schools, senior housing developments and senior centers. They offer a variety of talks and programs from Tai Chi to chair exercises and health fairs, as well as a support group and educational programs for people with arthritis. They perform health screenings for osteoporosis, blood pressure and vision.
Community Outreach Services
Nurses in our community outreach program provide the following services:
- Church Health Fairs [including Church of the Redeemed of the Lord, St. Ursula Church, St. Thomas Aquinas Church and Loch Raven Community Church]
- Community health fairs and screenings at area churches, schools, senior housing developments and senior centers
- Fresh Start Smoking Cessation Program: An evidence-based program that helps participants increase their motivation to quit smoking, learn effective approaches for quitting and guide them in making a successful quit attempt. Find the latest dates for this program.
- Life Balance/Weight Management Program: A 16-week program designed to help you make real lifestyle changes, such as eating healthier, starting a daily exercise routine, losing weight, and improving problem-solving and coping skills. The information for this series comes from the National Diabetes Prevention Program and is targeted at reversing pre-diabetes.
- Living Well - Take Charge of Your Health: A diabetes self-management workshop that helps participants make weekly action plans, share experiences, and help each other solve problems they encounter in creating and carrying out their self-management program. Find the latest dates for this program.
- Parish Nursing
- Partnership with Mt. Zion Baptist Church
For more information about our community programs, call 443-444-4100.
- 2011: "Stand for Children Pinwheel Garden" Project to support efforts to prevent child abuse and neglect
- 2010: How a Woman I Love Takes Great Care of Me essay contest
Reports to the Community