Approximately 30,000 cases of kidney cancer will be diagnosed in the United States yearly, according to the American Cancer Society.
At MedStar Health, we provide comprehensive care for kidney cancer including:
- Laparoscopic radical nephrectomy
- Open radical nephrectomy for large tumors
- Partial nephrectomy for preservation of the kidney (open, laparoscopic, or robotic surgery)
- Small molecule targeted therapy for late stage treatment
- Palliative services
- Blood in the urine
- Pain during urination
- Pain in the pelvis
- A feeling of generalized pressure in the pelvis, possibly caused by the tumor pressing on other organs near the kidneys.
Diagnosis and Treatment
Your doctor will ask for a complete medical history and will perform a thorough physical examination. Diagnostic tests may include:
- Analysis of urine under a microscope to check for blood and possible cancerous cells
- Radiological imaging of the entire urologic system, including ultrasound
- Bone scan, to check for spread of cancer
Fortunately, the treatment for kidney cancer has become technologically advanced. Sophisticated imaging scans like CTs and MRIs make finding smaller tumors easier, and minimally invasive techniques, such as laparoscopic and robotic surgeries, speed healing and recovery.
Call Us Today
To find a cancer care specialist: