In coronary artery disease, the coronary arteries narrow from plaque, a substance made up of fatty deposit, building up on the coronary artery walls. Narrowing of the coronary arteries may cause the following symptoms:
- Chest pain (angina)
- Shortness of breath
- Pain in the left arm or neck
- Plaque can also rupture, causing a complete blockage of the artery and a heart attack.
- Medical, including a daily drug regimen
- Percutaneous intervention, including the placement of stents to open any blockages
- Surgical, including bypass surgery
- Lifestyle modification, including a healthy diet, exercise and quitting smoking
MedStar Heart & Vascular Institute is a national leader in treating patients using the off-pump approach— heart surgeries done on beating hearts, as opposed to surgery while on cardiac bypass—and approximately half of coronary artery disease patients are operate d on this way. By using this technique, we may reduce potential adverse effects of cardio-pulmonary bypass.
Our cardiologists also use the latest technological advances in stents and catheter-based devices to treat coronary artery and valvular heart disease. Our advanced imaging techniques allow us to diagnose and treat a wide range of vascular and structural heart issues.
Call Us Today
To find a heart specialist, call: