The Spine Center
The Spine Center at MedStar Good Samaritan Hospital incorporates a team approach where you are cared for not by one physician, but rather our group of experts including pain management and physical medicine and rehabilitation specialists, interventional radiologists, physiatrists, neurologists, rheumatologists, spine surgeons, neurosurgeons, specialized pharmacists as well as certified physical and occupational therapists. This approach ensures that you get the best possible combination of treatment options based on your specific type of back pain diagnosis, including your examination findings, lifestyle, occupation and recreational interests.
Our approach is not only comprehensive in treatment, but in scope as well. Prior to treatment, you receive pre-conditioning education to make your experience as pain free as possible. Following treatment, you receive instructions on recommended exercise and proper body mechanics, and in some cases group therapy sessions, to keep you healthy and active down the road. This type of care helps to ensure that you receive treatment under the best possible circumstances and recover with the best tools for your health and continued wellness.
Surgical and non-surgical treatment for back and spine pain as well as back and spine injuries.
Spine Conditions Treated
Spine Diagnosis and Treatments
- Epidural Steroid Injections
- Epidural Lysis of Adhesions
- Facet Joint Blocks
- Nerve Root Blocks
- Radio Frequency Ablation (RFA)
- Sacroiliac Joint Injections
- Intradiscal Electrothermal Therapy (IDET)
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) or Computerized Tomography (CT) Scans
- Bone Scan
- Electrodiagnostic Studies
- Minimally Invasive Lumbar Decompression and Fusion
- Percutaneous spinal fusion for trauma or malignancy
- Endoscopic microdiscectomy and nerve root decompression
- Anterior Cervical Decompression and Fusion (ACDF)
- Lumbar Laminectomy
- Cervical Laminectomy and Fusion
- Lumbar and Thoracolumbar Decompression and Fusion
- Percutaneous stabilization for spinal fractures (Kyphoplasty, Vertebroplasty)
- Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion
- Corpectomy and Fusion for Selected Spine Tumors and Infections
- Laminectomy or Laminotomy
- Spinal Fusions
- Skull-base and Cranio-Cervical Junction (CVJ) Surgery
- Multi-disciplinary Management of Spinal Tumors
- Minimally Invasive Spinal Surgery
- Brainlab®’s Kolibri™ image guidance system - tracking surgical instruments in relation to a patient’s anatomy, the Brainlab technology helps the surgeon in planning incisions, finding pedicle entry points, trajectories and screw insertion points. In certain cases, this image-guidance technology enables surgeons to avoid performing conventional open surgery.
MedStar Good Samaritan has been the home for clinical research and innovation for development of knee and hip prostheses, cartilage restoration, and osteonecrosis (bone death), research. Our pioneering doctors continue to present nationally and internationally to their peers about advances and clinical improvements in joint and spine care. Our focus on arthritis in its many forms includes more than medical care; we provide a full complement of educational programs as well.