Facial Cosmetic Procedures
Facial procedures in plastic surgery can redefine specific features or reduce the visible signs of aging. The plastic surgeons of MedStar Health can perform the most effective surgical techniques for achieving these goals.
- Blepharoplasty (Eyelid Surgery): A blepharoplasty is intended to reduce eye bags or excess eyelid skin. The eyelids are prone to collect small pockets of fat and stretched skin, causing a tired or unhappy appearance. These imperfections can be addressed through small incisions hidden on or inside the eyelids.
- Brow Lift: A brow lift can elevate the sagging tissue of your brow, thereby restoring a youthful eyebrow arch and creating a more open appearance around your eyes. Incisions are made usually behind the hairline to lift and then fixate the brow in a higher position.
- Cheek Augmentation: Cheek augmentation is any procedure that increases projection of the cheeks, making them appear fuller or more defined. If your cheeks have flattened out over time, your plastic surgeon may recommend a technique that increases volume of the tissue or augments the underlying bone.
- Cheek Implants: Facial implants designed for the cheeks can be surgically placed to correct a lack of underlying cheekbone structure. Made with a biocompatible material, facial implants come in different shapes and sizes. The implants can be inserted during a facelift or in a single procedure using small incisions in the lower eyelid or behind the upper lip.
- Chin Implant: An implant can also be used to augment the chin, increasing chin projection and improving overall facial proportion. If your chin gives you a relatively weak profile, a chin implant can make it more prominent. The implant can be inserted through an incision inside the mouth or beneath the chin. Afterward, you'll need to follow specific instructions for oral hygiene and return to have sutures removed in about one week.
- Chin Surgery: Mentoplasty or genioplasty are procedures that can reshape the chin to enhance facial proportion. The chin can be reshaped and moved forward, backward, upward, or downward, as necessary. During surgery, the bones of the chin are repositioned and fixed in place.
- Earlobe Repair: Earlobes can be injured in several ways, usually because of an accident with earrings. In some cases, the earlobes can become stretched to a significant degree. The repair of an earlobe is a simple outpatient procedure that includes the trimming of the affected skin.
- Facelift: Facelift surgery can reduce the visible signs of aging. Wrinkles, folds, and sagging skin and fat in the face are predictable conditions that come with age. Through incisions hidden in the hairline and around the ears, these signs of aging can be addressed to remove years from your appearance.
- Facial Fat Grafting: Facial fat grafting is a surgical technique that can restore youthful contour to areas of loss of tissue. By injecting a small amount of your own body fat, the face can be filled out, improving the appearance of lines, creases, scars and other defects.
- Lip Augmentation: Lip augmentation uses injectable filler or an implant to increase fullness in lips that are naturally thin or thinned out because of aging. The product is placed within the lips to enlarge their size while maintaining the natural appearance of the lip borders.
- Lip Lift: A lip lift can enhance the shape and proportion of the lips in relation to the nose and other facial features. The procedure uses your own tissue to shorten the space between the lip and the base of the nose, effectively lifting the upper lip. The corners of the mouth can be treated in a similar technique.
- Neck Lift: Neck lift surgery is a name for surgical techniques that treat sagging neck muscles, excess neck skin and excess neck fat. In a procedure similar to a facelift, excess skin and tissue can be removed while tightening the sagging muscle. The result is a clearly defined transition from your face to your neck.
- Neck Liposuction: Fat in the neck can be treated with liposuction, a popular technique for localized body fat removal. This procedure is best for patients with good skin elasticity. Using a thin tube, fat can be vacuumed out to sculpt the neck and jaw areas. After surgery, you will need to wear a special chinstrap for a few days.
- Otoplasty (Ear Shaping): Otoplasty is a common procedure that repositions the ears for a more normal appearance. Ears can be repositioned by making an incision behind the ear, and then removing or folding the ear cartilage.
- Rhinoplasty: Rhinoplasty is a nose-shaping surgery, which can be performed when the nose is large, crooked, humped, hooked, misshaped or out of proportion. The nasal bone and cartilage can be reshaped to refine the shape of the nose and bring it into balance with your facial features.
- Septoplasty: Nasal breathing obstructions are often resolved with septoplasty. An obstruction in the nasal cavity is often caused by asymmetry in the septum, which can be present from birth or a result of trauma. During septoplasty, the septum cartilage and nasal bone can be addressed to improve breathing in your nose.