Spinal Cord Rehabilitation
In the past, spinal cord injury often meant a life spent immobilized with little chance for interaction or participation in the outside world. Fortunately, recent advancements in medical and rehabilitation technology have allowed persons with spinal cord injuries to lead fulfilling lives and resume active roles in their families and communities, and, in some cases, their careers.
At MedStar Good Samaritan, a highly skilled group of professionals plans each patient’s care under the direction of a rehabilitation physician (physiatrist) from MedStar National Rehabilitation Network. Therapies are specifically designed to help each patient regain control over his/her personal care, improve functional skills and increase his/her level of independence.
Care is coordinated by a case manager who helps the patient and his/her family understand the recovery process and consider the options as the patient progresses from inpatient care to home health care, outpatient rehabilitation and/or community services.
Our clinical staff work together as an interdisciplinary team to design a unique rehabilitation program for each patient. The team helps patients attain their highest level of functioning and independence. Core goals of rehabilitation include:
- Involving the patient and his/her family in the development of realistic rehabilitation goals and participating in discharge planning.
- Increasing the patient’s overall strength, endurance, flexibility and range of motion.
- Instructing the patient and his/her family in proper skin care techniques, as well as building the patient’s tolerance for sitting and lying.
- Assisting ventilator patients with breathing and speech techniques to maximize their independence.
- Determining adaptive equipment needs and custom fitting braces, orthotics and wheelchairs.
- Helping patients and their loved ones to adjust to the disability and learn to cope with the physical limitations that accompany spinal cord injuries.
- Coordinating additional therapies and community resources as needed.